April 24, 2000 - Update
Yeah, yeah, I know. Anyway, I've begun transferring the site to sourceforge.net; I hope it will help foster new development. I will probably be doing very little coding on the project myself, for the very same reasons I haven't put out a new release in over a year. If you're interested in working on gicq, let me know.
What I'd personally like to see gicq become is a bonobo component for the upcoming Evolution groupware package that Miguel and the other coding gods are working on; I doubt I'll ever have the time to try that, but maybe someone out there wants to tackle it :)
March 8, 1999 - gicq 0.33 Released
This is mainly a maintenance release for gtk 1.2/gnome 1.0. It fixes one minor bug with changing status.
Note: this will be the final release that will compile without Gnome. Future versions will feature full Gnome integration, chat, and file transfer.
At the present time, the feature list is rather short. However, the most important stuff works - you can log on with an existing ICQ account, search for other users and add them to your contact list, and most importantly, send and receive messages.
Remember, it's still very alpha software, so it won't work for everybody right now. If you're using it, that makes you an alpha tester, so if you find a bug, send me a patch or a very detailed description of the problem.
gicq uses libicq, which actually does most of the work. libicq is based on micq, a text-based ICQ client written by Matt Smith.
- gicq 0.33 - gicq-0.33.tar.gz (185k)
- libicq 0.33 - libicq-0.33.tar.gz (99k)
- gicq 0.33 - gicq-0.33-2.src.rpm (187k)
- libicq 0.33 - libicq-0.33-1.src.rpm (101k)
- gicq 0.33 requires libicq 0.33. Download and compile libicq first, then gicq.
- If you have problems compiling against GNOME, try doing a
- If you installed GNOME from RPMs, you might need to do
makefails in the po/ directory, try doing a
./configure --diable-nls, then
Linux Intel RPMs:
- gicq 0.33 (gnome) - gicq-0.33-2.i386.rpm (137k)
- gicq 0.33 (gtk-standalone) - gicq-0.33-2-gtk.i386.rpm (113k)
- libicq 0.33 - libicq-0.33-1.i386.rpm (135k)
Linux SPARC RPMs:
- gicq 0.32 - gicq-0.32-1-gtk.sparc.rpm (95k)
- libicq 0.32 - libicq-0.32-1-gtk.sparc.rpm (95k)
Linux Alpha RPMs:
- gicq 0.22 - gicq-0.22-1-gtk.alpha.rpm (134k)
- libicq 0.20 - libicq-0.20-1-gtk.alpha.rpm (115k)
Statically Linked Binaries (requires no other software to run):
- Linux gicq 0.33 - gicq-0.33-static-linux.gz (820k)